Sunday, April 18, 2010

This is not like me.

If you have known me for more than about 10 minutes in my so-called previous life, you will know that I love coffee.

It was the fuel to my flame, the energy in my sun, the valium to my mood disorder.

It was the nectar of the gods if I believed there were indeed gods.

All this has changed since my diagnosis because my wiring has been all screwed up.

Sometimes coffee really tastes bad to me. Doesn't matter how cheap or how expensive (but I can usually tolerate expensive for longer than cheap) it just tastes like bitter dish water.

I'm told that MS can be effecting either my sense of taste or smell thus making me think that I don't like coffee anymore. My caffeine intake has switched almost completely to CocaCola (and if anyone even suggests Diet Coke, please, die in a fire) and I'm wondering if that's part of the problem with my attempts to try and drop these 30 lbs I've gained since I stopped moving properly.

When I drank coffee I drank it black - no cream, no sugar. Now I'm drinking 200 calories at a time of Coke probably 3 or 4 times a day because I need the caffeine to control my fatigue.

(between the Coke and the Wellbutrin, I've only had mild bouts of fatigue that are solved by just sitting down and resting, not having to sleep. Though I do fall asleep pretty much every night by midnight if I stop drinking Coke after dinner.)

I know I love coffee and I know that this taste change is a result of my stupid brain. I poured myself a coffee about 15 minutes ago and added a brown sugar packet to it and now it's good. I don't know how long this will last, but I think I've found a way to switch up my Coke drinking for coffee.

MS sucks. Sometimes in the most stupid of ways.

6 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with tea when I was pregnant with my fist child. I was a teetotaler. HATED coffee. If you made me a coffee I would quietly dump it out and make myself a cuppa tea. I was so bad, I would bring my own tetle's with me in a zip lock bag cause red rose wouldn't cut it. But during my pregnancy even the smell of tea turned me right off. It tasted nasty. So I switched to coffee and all of sudden - I loved it. I too worship to the coffee gods. Perhaps you need a switch of religions. Have you tried tea? Not that watered down green decaffeinated stuff they pass off as tea. Real dark strong tea? It may be a nice substitute.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a good cuppa Twining's Earl Grey, but it just doesn't have the "Umph" of either coffee or Coke.

    But since my tastes have changed maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guarantee you the coke is impacting that 30lbs. When I quit drinking Coke, I lost 20lbs in 6 weeks... and I changed some other things, but the first couple weeks, was just quitting coke and that along dropped me almost 10lbs.

    Diet Coke is AWFUL... Diet Pepsi is tolerable and you will get used to it. Coke Zero is better than Diet Pepsi, but it goes flat faster, so if you drink quickly, you'll be rewarded with an "almost like coke" experience, a good dose of caffeine and guaranteed weightloss.

    Every can of coke you drink contains 8-10 tablespoons of sugar.

    I'm a pop-a-holic. I know it seems impossible... but you'll lose that weight - if that's what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went down the street and bought a can of Coke Zero. It's okay, but it's better with a little CC in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend Diet Mountain Dew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mountain Dew is caffeine free in Canada, so it doesn't fit my needs.

    I've been on the Coke Zero for about four days now and it's going well. I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete