Wednesday, January 9, 2013

91 instead of 89


Betty White is going to turn 91 next week.

My grandmothers never made it to that age, and neither were close to Betty's level of vigour and health for years before they died.

Every time I watch Betty White I get sad a little because I want MY 91 to look like Betty's 91, not the 89 years both my grandmothers made it to.

I have MS. The likelihood that my 91 is going to look like Betty's is... probably overly optimistic.

But I think that I can do something that can make it not like my grandmothers'.

Given the recent medical history in my family, I could stand on a nuclear reactor core and not get cancer. However, if I eat nothing but meat and potatoes or sit down for too long I will have severe dementia for the last three years of my life before having a stroke or brain bleed.

Cardiovascular disease will kill me. It will kill me like it killed every. single. one. of my grandparents.

I want to be Betty, not my grandmothers.

So what do I do about that?


I guess I could start by not fuelling my waking hours with caffeine and sugar, and go back to eating real food of carbohydrates and proteins. 
***

I'm the kind of person who eats half a pint of Ben and Jerry's or microwaves a bag of popcorn for supper because it's easier than thinking about cooking. I am not a big fan of food and generally only eat until my stomach stops growling. This often leads to a growling stomach a short time later. I have to be in the mood, as well as hungry, to eat. I don't like to eat for no reason.
***

I could also stop being the kind of person that thinks half a pint of Ben & Jerry's or a bag of microwave popcorn is dinner.
***

I could also become the kind of person who gets dressed every day. Or the kind of person who gets dressed every day and leaves the house.
***
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment