Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hope

So they re-myelinated the brain of a shiverer mouse (original abstract here) and I cried.

I believe that stem cells are "the thing" that will cure and then "fix" MS. Ideally, I'd like someone to figure out how to "reboot" my immune system and fix all the neurological damage this disease has done, and what this study above does is give me home that at least *part* of that dream is possible.

I've never let myself believe that MS will be cured in my lifetime, but if this science is actually a working model, MS might be fixed by the time I'm in my 50s. If I can keep from progressing now, that would give me 30-40 years of life worth living.

Until now, I've never let myself have that hope. I cried because it now seems possible.

Stem cells are where it's at. Mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment