Thursday, January 21, 2010

Flow Chart to MS DMDs

I don't think I can fully explain how much I love flow charts. Pie charts and bar grafts too. Unfortunately I don't want to do tables and all that so I will just number this one.

Special Therapies Pre-Treatment and Special Therapies Treatment Phase

Pre-treatment Phase


Step 1 - Referral to Special Therapies Program

I was referred to the STP by my neurologist who screened me for inclusion in the program based on the BC Pharmacare's prescribing criteria

Step 2 - Patient Education (3 hour group session)

This is what I attended today where I got this awesome flow chart

Topics covered

- review of what MS is
- description of available drugs & how they are administered
- clinical trial study results
- side effects profile and management
- patient expectations
- Pharmacare coverage

According to the facilitator, this patient education program was mandated by BC Pharmacare to help lessen "prescriber bias". The four drugs were approved by Pharmacare around the same time and knowing that one or two of the drug companies had funded hundreds of thousands of dollars of research in the province they wanted to make sure that patients were getting access to the drug they wanted to take, not the one their neurologist wanted them to to fund his/her research. Every person who is going to start an MS medication in the province of BC has to take this education session.

Step 3 - Patient to call Special Therapies Program secretary with drug choice.

I don't have to do this one because my drug choice is already made. My doctor has already filled out the forms, I just had to go to this session because it's the rules.

Step 4 - Pharmacare approval (takes approx. 1 week)

As far as I know, I already have my approval.

Step 5 - Package to be sent to patient
- bloodwork requisitions (if you are on beta-interferons)
- Pharmacare approval note (for secondary insurers, if they require it.)
- neurologist letter (for additional insurance back up or for travel)
- travel tips

Step 6 - Bloodwork screening (not required for Copaxone)
- bloodwork must be done before prescription given to patient

Step 7 - Prescription given to patient

Step 8 - MS Clinic will send requisition to company support program for home start by RN


Treatment Phase

Day 1 - Injection training and drug initiation - home RN start

- first injection done with home nurse teaching

48 hours & 1 week - Follow-up phone calls

- You will receive a phone call from the Support Company Nurse regarding side effect management and support

Month 1 & Month 3 (approx) - Follow-up clinic visit - (optional)

- injection site reactions
- side effect management
- monitor bloodwork results (Avonex, Betasteron and Rebif - monthly for 6 months)

Month 6 - Optional clinic visit

- Monitor bloodwork results (not required for Copaxone)

Month 11 - Monitor bloodwork results (have blood test 1 month prior to appointment) [not required for Copaxone]

1 year - Annual review - make appointment with neurologist

- prescription renewal
- check injection sites and Special Therapies treatment issues

Pharmacare approval needs to be renewed each year with the prescription, and that's important because most private insurers won't cover the full cost of the medication without Pharmacare kicking in 70% of the cost, which is $1600 a month. Approval is never denied unless you no longer meet the residency requirement. The 30% will be covered by most private insurers up to your drug coverage percentage. (Ours is 80%.) This is going to cost me $96 a month out of pocket until my annual maximum has been reached. (The 80% of the 30% counts toward the annual maximum, btw.) I don't know what that is yet, because I haven't filed my 2009 taxes yet.

Thus ends the fabulous flow chart of MS drug therapy in the province of British Columbia.

*bows deeply*

No comments:

Post a Comment