Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Finally, a post about MS

Here is the nationwide survey for people with MS, their family and caregivers.
***

Four years since my diagnosis and I haven't really gotten worse. Since I stopped walking with a cane almost a year and a half ago I have had no improvement, but I haven't gotten worse. I guess I need to be grateful for small mercies.
***

I have a lifetime diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, but I do not qualify for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC). That's fine. I'm not disabled. The Canadian government offers people with disabilities the opportunity to save money for future infirmity tax-free with a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) but you can't get an RDSP unless you qualify for the DTC.

This is the single biggest tax issue I have with the Canada Revenue Agency. They don't allow people with diagnoses with probable catastrophic diseases save money without penalty for the day when they can't earn their own money.

That's the thing with MS. Today I'm able to be a taxpaying, contributing member of society and tomorrow I could be disabled for life. And because that disability isn't "intrusive" enough, I'm not a disabled person. I'm a person with a disability.

How awesome is that. :\

No comments:

Post a Comment