Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Week

I've done 8 shots now. It's still frustrating me to give myself shots that I have to look at, even with the auto-injector. I like the speed with which the auto-injector administers the Copaxone. I find that straight from the syringe is just too fast.

I'm pleased with my progress at getting this shot integrated into my life though.

One thing I am NOT thrilled about is the CCSVI advocates clogging up my comments, following me on Twitter and sending me messages on Facebook.

I'm really happy that all these willing victims are ready to martyr themselves because it's going to take at least 5,000 people running off and getting the "liberation procedure" before we find out what the stroke risk is. Since solving the problem of my wonky left leg and intention tremor IS NOT worth the risk of being left in a wheelchair, a vegetable or dead, I'll wait, thank you very much.

I'm not going to advocate that the test and the surgery start taking place here in Canada unless every single person who has it done kicks in 2/3 the cost and signs a waiver saying they can't sue for malpractice because the surgeon didn't know how to do the procedure and it was so experimental they didn't know the inherent risks.

A vascular surgeon that my neurologist at UBC Hospital talked to thinks that the risk of stroke could be as high as 1 in 100 to 1 in 5000 depending on where the narrowing/blockage is.

Neither of those numbers is worth the risk to me right now. I want to see more study, to start training for the professionals to diagnose CCSVI and the surgeons to treat it, and to find out if the risks outweigh the benefits.

In the meantime I'm doing Copaxone and doing my physiotherapy and yoga. I know for sure that those things won't kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment